Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -FundWay
Surpassing:Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 19:57:22
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Surpassingagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (61395)
Related
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- FBI offers up to $25,000 reward for information about suspect behind Northwest ballot box fires
- Disease could kill most of the ‘ohi‘a forests on Hawaii’s Big Island within 20 years
- Kentucky woman seeking abortion files lawsuit over state bans
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- It's about to be Red Cup Day at Starbucks. When is it and how to get the free coffee swag?
- Patrick Mahomes Breaks Silence on Frustrating Robbery Amid Ongoing Investigation
- Human head washes ashore on Florida beach, police investigating: reports
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Watch a rescuer’s cat-like reflexes pluck a kitten from mid-air after a scary fall
Ranking
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Biden, Harris participate in Veterans Day ceremony | The Excerpt
- Inspector general finds no fault in Park Police shooting of Virginia man in 2017
- Why Josh O'Connor Calls Sex Scenes Least Sexy Thing After Challengers With Zendaya and Mike Faist
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- The Daily Money: Inflation is still a thing
- To Protect the Ozone Layer and Slow Global Warming, Fertilizers Must Be Deployed More Efficiently, UN Says
- Kate Hudson and Goldie Hawn’s SKIMS Holiday Pajamas Are Selling Out Fast—Here’s What’s Still Available
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
DWTS’ Sasha Farber and Jenn Tran Prove They're Closer Than Ever Amid Romance Rumors
The Latin Grammys are almost here for a 25th anniversary celebration
Amazon Prime Video to stream Diamond Sports' regional networks
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Kendall Jenner Is Back to Being a Brunette After Ditching Blonde Hair
Georgia remains part of College Football Playoff bracket projection despite loss
Kentucky woman seeking abortion files lawsuit over state bans